- Police Seek Information On Child Luring SuspectPosted 11 hours ago
- Deer Hunt Returns To Hilltop January 31Posted 5 days ago
- Verona Police Blotter: December 30, 2016 – January 6, 2017Posted 1 week ago
- Top Stories For December 2016Posted 3 weeks ago
- Top Stories For 2016Posted 3 weeks ago
- Verona Police Blotter: December 9-16, 2016Posted 4 weeks ago
- Top Stories For November 2016Posted 1 month ago
- Verona Police Blotter: December 2 – December 9, 2016Posted 1 month ago
- Verona Police Blotter: November 25 – December 2, 2016Posted 1 month ago
- VHS Grad Saves Life At Montclair StatePosted 2 months ago
Your Winter To-Do List
We got a reminder over the weekend that it IS winter. A few inches of fluffy (thankfully) snow along with some bitter cold temperatures. (Which will mercifully rise into the 50s before the end of the week!) Along with the annoying weather, come some annoying reminders from me (just call me the nagging mom!):
- Clean up that snow. No one likes to shovel, but you’ve got to do it (unless you have an awesome neighbor with a snow blower or a kid who is willing to do it for you in exchange for a Hamilton or two). For your own safety (and the safety of others), make a pathway. It doesn’t have to be perfect…there is no award for best sidewalk shoveled in Verona…at least not yet!. Don’t forget to clear your steps if you have them (most of us do). If you live on a corner, don’t forget your cut-out so that pedestrians can safely cross the street. If you live near a fire hydrant, don’t forget to clear that out as well. And if you have a car (I KNOW you do), make sure it is cleaned off as well. Flying snow from a car is a BIG no-no!
- Snow isn’t the only thing we have to worry about. With the frigid temperatures there are plenty of ice patches, some visible and some not. I love salt/ice melt (although not what it does to my lawn or floors when “somebody” doesn’t wipe their feet after being outside). Use it when you can. Walk and drive with caution. I know it’s hard. We’re all in a rush, but there are slippery patches all around us and again, we can’t see them all. Again, I say use caution!
- Pay extra attention when driving. People/kids WILL be walking in the streets due to unshovelled sidewalks or ice patches. Now more than ever we need to be alert, especially if you are driving before the sun rises. Remember, you don’t want to see a deer fly!
- Stay warm and layer. You’ve got to get out there to clean up your walk, clear off your car, etc. make sure you are dressed to handle it. Layer! It may be brutally cold to start with but as you get working you’ll warm up. Shed some layers as you go along.
- Don’t forget your cell phone! We’ve all got them so be sure to bring them with. Sure they are cool to use to take photos of the pretty landscape and of you working your butt off to clean it up, but most importantly have it on hand in case you need to make an emergency call. Cold weather emergencies DO happen! If something goes wrong, don’t you want to be able to call for help, rather than wait for it? Bring it out like you would an umbrella on an overcast day and hopefully you’ll never need it.
- They may have fur, but pets get cold too. Leaving them outside for long periods of time is just cruel. If you’re cold, they are too. If you wouldn’t stay outside for more than 30 minutes, why should they?
- Be kind. Winter can be a difficult time for many people. Check in on those who you don’t see. Wipe off the car of a neighbor with a newborn or if you’re feeling ambitious clear out a path an elderly neighbor doesn’t have to. (Or any neighbor if you’re feeling really ambitious!) Going to the grocery store? Ask a friend if you could pick something up for them. Pass a Dunkin’ Donuts gift card to a crossing guard.
Most important of all, don’t forget there are only 10 more weeks ’til spring!
Beth Shorten is a life-long resident of Verona. For more than three years, she has been chronicling life here on her personal site, Bfth’s Boring Blog.
Get News Updates By Email
Girls Winter Track Off To Strong Start
The Verona High School girls winter track & field...
- Posted 10 hours ago
Police Seek Information On Child Luring Suspect
The Montclair Police Department has released the composite sketch...
- Posted 11 hours ago
Op-Ed: The Governor Got It Right About Addiction Treatment
Gov. Chris Christie is on point in his State...
- Posted 12 hours ago
Where In Verona Is It? Week 52
This is it folks: The last week of MyVeronaNJ.com’s...
- Posted 6 years ago
Where In Verona Is It? Week 22
Naughty? Nice? We’re not going to be judgmental. We’re...
- Posted 6 years ago
PSEG: Here’s Verona Outage Map
With the millions of homes without power around New...
- Posted 4 years ago