- Verona Blotter August 12– 19, 2016Posted 1 day ago
- Verona Police Blotter: July 29, 2016 – August 5, 2016Posted 2 weeks ago
- Water Main Break On ClaremontPosted 3 weeks ago
- Street Signs VandalizedPosted 4 weeks ago
- Verona Police Blotter: July 15 – July 22, 2016Posted 1 month ago
- Three File To Run For BOEPosted 1 month ago
- Verona Police Recruiting OfficersPosted 1 month ago
- Verona Police Blotter: July 8-15, 2016Posted 1 month ago
- Newark Man Arrested, Charged In Fatal Hit-And-RunPosted 1 month ago
- Claremont Construction Halt? Not ReallyPosted 2 months ago
Residents of the Forest section who have been worried about the fox that has been seen on their side of town and their outdoor cats have something new to worry about tonight: a coyote. A Forest homeowner snapped this picture of a coyote in his backyard yesterday.
On its Web site, the New Jersey DEP’s Division of Fish and Wildlife calls this an Eastern coyote and says it can be found in all 21 counties of New Jersey. While coyote sightings are fairly common (we had one in Verona shortly after MyVeronaNJ.com was started in December 2009), attacks on human are rare. Nor is it unusual to seem them in daylight at this time of year. This is when they are out foraging for food to sustain them through the colder months ahead, including rabbits, voles and mice.
But caution is still a good idea. This is a wild animal and not your neighbor’s dog, after all. To limit the coyote’s food options, keep the lids on your garbage cans on tight and don’t feed pets outside. And for the time being, it might be a good idea to keep outdoor cats inside.
UPDATE: Several readers think that, rather than a coyote, this animal might be a fox with a bad case of mange. The parasitic skin disease can cause loss of fur, which could account for a fox losing its bushy tail. We can let nature take its course on this, or call Animal Control, which is handled out of Montclair. The number is 973-744-8600 and they are there Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. At other times, call the non-emergency number for the Verona Police, which is 973-239-5000.
Get News Updates By Email
Holy Spirit Food Pantry Open Saturday
This Saturday, August 27, is the fourth Saturday of...
- Posted 9 hours ago
VHS Upper Field Gets Turfed
The upper field at Verona High School has been closed...
- Posted 1 day ago
Verona Blotter August 12– 19, 2016
August 12, 2016 2:33 AM: Officers Rob Juliano and...
- Posted 1 day ago
Where In Verona Is It? Week 52
This is it folks: The last week of MyVeronaNJ.com’s...
- Posted 5 years ago
Where In Verona Is It? Week 22
Naughty? Nice? We’re not going to be judgmental. We’re...
- Posted 6 years ago
PSEG: Here’s Verona Outage Map
With the millions of homes without power around New...
- Posted 4 years ago