- Police Seek Information On Child Luring SuspectPosted 6 hours ago
- Deer Hunt Returns To Hilltop January 31Posted 5 days ago
- Verona Police Blotter: December 30, 2016 – January 6, 2017Posted 1 week ago
- Top Stories For December 2016Posted 3 weeks ago
- Top Stories For 2016Posted 3 weeks ago
- Verona Police Blotter: December 9-16, 2016Posted 4 weeks ago
- Top Stories For November 2016Posted 1 month ago
- Verona Police Blotter: December 2 – December 9, 2016Posted 1 month ago
- Verona Police Blotter: November 25 – December 2, 2016Posted 1 month ago
- VHS Grad Saves Life At Montclair StatePosted 1 month ago
‘Hundred-Foot Journey’, With Verona Food
There’s a new movie opening tonight called The Hundred-Foot Journey. The story, which is set in the south of France, revolves around a demanding female French chef and an immigrant Indian family that wants to open a restaurant in the same small village.
What does any of this have to do with Verona, you ask? Well, it turns out that the food in the movie was created by one of Verona’s celebrity chefs, Floyd Cardoz. He was born in the south of India, apprenticed in a Bombay hotel, and has cooked both French and Indian food in Switzerland, New York and in front of lots of TV cameras.
When The Hundred-Foot Journey first came out as a book in 2011, its author Richard Morais was dining at Tabla, the restaurant that Cardoz ran then in New York City. Morais had spent many years working at Forbes, which was headquartered nearby, and had unwittingly created in the book’s lead character, Hassan Haji, a fictional chef that had much in common with the real-life Cardoz. One thing lead to another and then to Hollywood, and Cardoz wound up creating all the food served in the film.
If you want to eat French or Indian after seeing The Hundred-Foot Journey, you could go to Montclair, where the leading French restaurant, Fricasee, is owned by a Verona native, Mark Papera; there are several Indian restaurants there too. But the movie’s creators have created a Pinterest site packed with recipes and dinner party ideas. There’s exotic, like the Vadouvan Naan Bread with Salted Coconut Butter, and a comfy Apple Tarte Tatin.
Get News Updates By Email
Girls Winter Track Off To Strong Start
The Verona High School girls winter track & field...
- Posted 5 hours ago
Police Seek Information On Child Luring Suspect
The Montclair Police Department has released the composite sketch...
- Posted 6 hours ago
Op-Ed: The Governor Got It Right About Addiction Treatment
Gov. Chris Christie is on point in his State...
- Posted 7 hours ago
Where In Verona Is It? Week 52
This is it folks: The last week of MyVeronaNJ.com’s...
- Posted 6 years ago
Where In Verona Is It? Week 22
Naughty? Nice? We’re not going to be judgmental. We’re...
- Posted 6 years ago
PSEG: Here’s Verona Outage Map
With the millions of homes without power around New...
- Posted 4 years ago