- Bloomfield Avenue Crash Sends 3 To HospitalPosted 3 days ago
- Verona Police Blotter: March 12-18, 2017Posted 4 days ago
- Verona In Washington: Healthcare, Budget Cuts & Veterans CarePosted 1 week ago
- Verona Public Schools Closed TuesdayPosted 2 weeks ago
- Verona Wins First State Hoops Championship Since 1957Posted 2 weeks ago
- Verona Police Blotter: February 26–March 4, 2017Posted 3 weeks ago
- Belleville Man Charged In Death Of Verona Woman In Lakeside DWI CrashPosted 3 weeks ago
- 6 File To Run For Town CouncilPosted 3 weeks ago
- Verona Police Blotter: February 17-25, 2017Posted 4 weeks ago
- Driver Sentenced In Hit-And-Run That Killed Verona BusinessmanPosted 1 month ago
HBW Learns About Fencing
You’ve got to envy those kids at H.B. Whitehorne Middle School: They learned how to swing dance over the winter and last week, they got a free demonstration of one of the world’s oldest Olympic sports, fencing.
For almost an hour last Friday, the students of Cedar Grove-based Lilov Fencing Academy (who include HBW student Vanya Citrano, right in the photo above), showed what they have to do to prepare for the sport and compete. Lilov owner Serge Lilov talked to the students about the history of fencing and let them examine some of the equipment it uses, like the highly protective face masks. He answered many questions about the sport and his students talked about why they love it, with Citrano comparing it to the thrill he knows his classmates get from football.
The Lilov fencers then demonstrated several actual fencing matches, to lots of cheering from the HBW sixth graders. Fencing is a well-established sport in New Jersey, which has almost 60 high school teams. Verona High School doesn’t yet have an official team, but many of the schools that we compete against in other sports (Montclair, Montclair Kimberley Academy, West Essex, Millburn and Columbia) do. Fencing is also big in many U.S. colleges, which often offer scholarships to build the best teams. And fencing still has a high profile at the Olympics: Later this month, the Lilov students who presented their sport at HBW will train for several days with Race Imboden, a key member of the 2012 U.S. Olympic team who is now the world’s No. 2 foil fencer.Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2014 MyVeronaNJ
Get News Updates By Email
The Library’s Renovation PAL
RepublishReprint Yes, the Verona Public Library is going to...
- Posted 14 hours ago
Verona In Washington: Frelinghuysen Pulls Support For ACA Repeal, Senate Confirms Ambassador To Israel
RepublishReprint The news out of Capitol Hill this week...
- Posted 20 hours ago
Wye Not: A Peter Frelinghuysen Moment
RepublishReprint No, that’s not a typo in the headline....
- Posted 2 days ago
Where In Verona Is It? Week 52
RepublishReprint This is it folks: The last week of...
- Posted 6 years ago
Where In Verona Is It? Week 22
RepublishReprint Naughty? Nice? We’re not going to be judgmental....
- Posted 6 years ago
PSEG: Here’s Verona Outage Map
RepublishReprint With the millions of homes without power around...
- Posted 4 years ago