- Deer Hunt Returns To Hilltop January 31Posted 4 days ago
- Verona Police Blotter: December 30, 2016 – January 6, 2017Posted 6 days ago
- Top Stories For December 2016Posted 2 weeks ago
- Top Stories For 2016Posted 3 weeks ago
- Verona Police Blotter: December 9-16, 2016Posted 4 weeks ago
- Top Stories For November 2016Posted 1 month ago
- Verona Police Blotter: December 2 – December 9, 2016Posted 1 month ago
- Verona Police Blotter: November 25 – December 2, 2016Posted 1 month ago
- VHS Grad Saves Life At Montclair StatePosted 1 month ago
- Water Main Break On ParkPosted 2 months ago
HBW Learns About Fencing
You’ve got to envy those kids at H.B. Whitehorne Middle School: They learned how to swing dance over the winter and last week, they got a free demonstration of one of the world’s oldest Olympic sports, fencing.
For almost an hour last Friday, the students of Cedar Grove-based Lilov Fencing Academy (who include HBW student Vanya Citrano, right in the photo above), showed what they have to do to prepare for the sport and compete. Lilov owner Serge Lilov talked to the students about the history of fencing and let them examine some of the equipment it uses, like the highly protective face masks. He answered many questions about the sport and his students talked about why they love it, with Citrano comparing it to the thrill he knows his classmates get from football.
The Lilov fencers then demonstrated several actual fencing matches, to lots of cheering from the HBW sixth graders. Fencing is a well-established sport in New Jersey, which has almost 60 high school teams. Verona High School doesn’t yet have an official team, but many of the schools that we compete against in other sports (Montclair, Montclair Kimberley Academy, West Essex, Millburn and Columbia) do. Fencing is also big in many U.S. colleges, which often offer scholarships to build the best teams. And fencing still has a high profile at the Olympics: Later this month, the Lilov students who presented their sport at HBW will train for several days with Race Imboden, a key member of the 2012 U.S. Olympic team who is now the world’s No. 2 foil fencer.
Get News Updates By Email
Frelinghuysen: Trump Will Be Good Commander-In-Chief
During the primaries, Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen (R-11th Dist.) was...
- Posted 2 hours ago
Michael Domenic Tucci, Owned Verona Barbershop
Mr. Michael Domenic Tucci, 94, died on January 9,...
- Posted 3 hours ago
UNICO Sets Sunday Dinner Fundraiser
The Verona Chapter of UNICO will be hosting a...
- Posted 1 day ago
Where In Verona Is It? Week 52
This is it folks: The last week of MyVeronaNJ.com’s...
- Posted 6 years ago
Where In Verona Is It? Week 22
Naughty? Nice? We’re not going to be judgmental. We’re...
- Posted 6 years ago
PSEG: Here’s Verona Outage Map
With the millions of homes without power around New...
- Posted 4 years ago