BOE Gets Field Donation

By on May 14, 2014

Superintendent Steve Forte with Tom Vetrano, Carlo Calabrese Sr. and Alex Graziano.

Superintendent Steve Forte with Tom Vetrano, Carlo Calabrese Sr. and Alex Graziano.

At last night’s Board of Education meeting, Tom Vetrano, Carlo Calabrese Sr. and Alex Graziano presented Superintendent Steve Forte with a symbolic check for $47,397.19. That was the proceeds of a muscle car event that the men and Lynn Tucci, who was unable to attend last night’s meeting, organized in 2006 to raise money to turf the upper field at Verona High School. But the referendum needed to do the work failed and the proceeds had been held in escrow ever since because they could only be applied to a turf field at Verona schools.

With the passage of the March 11 referendum, Verona’s public schools now have an outlet for the money. The donation will be applied to the lower field project, which involves turfing Doc Goeltz Field for multiple sports and band activities. “Good luck to everyone on the Board on the construction of this wonderful field,” Graziano said in presenting the check. Board of Education member Joe Bellino thanked the group for the donation. “The money will go to good use,” he said.

BOE members at last night’s meeting said referendum work was moving ahead across all fronts. Jim Day said that the ad hoc security committee had done a survey of all six Verona schools to make recommendations on the placement of security cameras. In its resolutions, the BOE awarded a contract to the Mylan Architectural Group for the referendum projects outside the field work, which is being handled by French & Parello. The Board said it hoped to have bid packets for all work in early summer, and to have work start on the fields in September. BOE member Steve Spardel said the fall activities usually held on Doc Goeltz field would be “displaced”, but did not specify whether they would be moved to Centennial Field or some other location. He added that the “current assumption” is that Spring 2015 sports would be on the completed field.

In the public comments portion of the meeting, Rob Caruso thanked the Board for its work on the referendum projects. “I am sorry for the abuse you are taking,” he said. “I just wanted to let you know that the majority of the townspeople are behind you.”

What is this?

You can watch the meeting in full through the Board of Education’s YouTube channel below.


Before you comment, read our Comments Policy

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Get News Updates By Email

Facebook

Video