- PBA, Town Talk Tech But No SolutionPosted 2 weeks ago
- Veronan Named NJ Teacher Of The YearPosted 2 weeks ago
- Gas Station Murder Case To Be RetriedPosted 3 weeks ago
- Softball Field VandalizedPosted 3 weeks ago
- Veronans Join People’s Climate MarchPosted 4 weeks ago
- Annin Pulls Loft PlanPosted 1 month ago
- Bloomfield Avenue Developer Loses AgainPosted 2 months ago
- Police Complaint: No Solution YetPosted 2 months ago
- Police Complaint: Busted Tech, Town Manager IntimidationPosted 2 months ago
- Tevlin Family Statement On Murder ArrestsPosted 3 months ago
Hilltop Groundbreaking April 21
The ground-breaking ceremony for the two new multi-purpose youth sports fields on Verona’s Hilltop will take place on Monday, April 21 at 5 p.m.
In mid-March, the Town Council voted 3-2 to award two contracts totaling almost $5.3 million to New York’s Landtek Group to remove contaminated soil from the area and build the turfed fields. The Council had voted 4-1 in April 2013 to issue $5.125 million in bonds to fund the construction; the soil removal contract will be funded out of a capital ordinance that was passed when Verona acquired the property from Essex County. The bonds will be repaid from a PILOT, or payment-in-lieu-of-taxes, structure that covers the two new apartment complexes on the Hilltop. Although Town Manager Joe Martin frequently asserts that the PILOT will generate $1 million in revenue for Verona annually, its payments will not be that large until 2029.
The Hilltop Phase II will include a rectangular field for youth soccer, lacrosse and football, and a diamond for youth softball and baseball that would have enough space in the outfield for Verona’s youngest soccer and lacrosse players. Both fields would be covered in synthetic turf, and there will be benches, bleachers, planters and lighting, a concession stand and additional parking.
If you are going to attend the groundbreaking, town officials are asking you to park behind the Verona Community Center’s annex building and walk up the back access road.
Get News Updates By Email
OLL Goes Pink
In support of Breast Cancer Awareness month the students...
- Posted 22 hours ago
Verona Tackles Shabazz, Remains Undefeated
The players of Malcolm X Shabazz High School are...
- Posted 23 hours ago
Losses Snap Soccer Wins
Verona High School boys soccer team fell to Whippany...
- Posted 2 days ago
Where In Verona Is It? Week 52
This is it folks: The last week of MyVeronaNJ.com’s...
- Posted 3 years ago
Where In Verona Is It? Week 22
Naughty? Nice? We’re not going to be judgmental. We’re...
- Posted 4 years ago
PSEG: Here’s Verona Outage Map
With the millions of homes without power around New...
- Posted 2 years ago