- Street Signs VandalizedPosted 2 hours ago
- Verona Police Blotter: July 15 – July 22, 2016Posted 3 days ago
- Three File To Run For BOEPosted 3 days ago
- Verona Police Recruiting OfficersPosted 3 days ago
- Verona Police Blotter: July 8-15, 2016Posted 1 week ago
- Newark Man Arrested, Charged In Fatal Hit-And-RunPosted 2 weeks ago
- Claremont Construction Halt? Not ReallyPosted 3 weeks ago
- Town Opens Cooling CentersPosted 3 weeks ago
- Verona Police Blotter: June 24 – July 1Posted 3 weeks ago
- Traffic Signs–And Common SensePosted 4 weeks ago
Snow Removal Costs Skyrocket
Verona Township Manager Joe Martin told the Town Council at the last meeting that the town spent $272,000 on snow removal from January to March 2014, and emphasized that a snow reserve was needed in the budget in case we get more snow before the year is out.
But Martin told MyVeronaNJ.com today that, in 2012, Verona spent $73,474 on snow removal, including overtime, outside contractors, salt and repairs. In 2013, he said, the cost jumped to $192,700 because a larger number of ice storms meant more salt was used.
Snow storms weren’t the only storms to clobber Verona’s budget in recent years, however: The freak October 2011 snow storm cost us $600,000, including $100,000 in debris removal. In December 2011 Martin called it “the most expensive storm in Verona history. But then came Hurricane Sandy the following October, which left us with $675,000 in eligible disaster costs, including $105,000 in police overtime because Verona had to deploy so many officers to control lines at gas stations here. Verona was only partially reimbursed by FEMA for the cost of those storms.
Verona pays for its snow removal out of the general budget, but, unlike some other towns, it keeps a snow reserve of at least $70,000 so that it does not have to declare a financial emergency, Martin says. “It’s an in-house emergency policy for snow removal.”
Hopefully, we won’t need it tonight: The summer-like temperatures of the past few days are going to vanish and the National Weather Service has issued a freeze warning.
Get News Updates By Email
Where In Verona Is It? Week 52
This is it folks: The last week of MyVeronaNJ.com’s...
- Posted 5 years ago
Where In Verona Is It? Week 22
Naughty? Nice? We’re not going to be judgmental. We’re...
- Posted 6 years ago
PSEG: Here’s Verona Outage Map
With the millions of homes without power around New...
- Posted 4 years ago