- Bonds, Clerk, Police IT Issues Roil Council MeetingPosted 1 week ago
- Water Main Break On MontrosePosted 2 weeks ago
- Verona Families Seek Leads In Nephew’s Murder As Reward GrowsPosted 3 weeks ago
- Paving Closes Streets On MondayPosted 1 month ago
- Attempted Armed Robbery At Fuel StopPosted 2 months ago
- Fire Guts Linden Avenue GaragePosted 2 months ago
- Water Main Break Affects Hemlock, LaurelPosted 3 months ago
- BOE Prez Faults Town Engineer For Field RumorsPosted 4 months ago
- Lower Linden Avenue Closing For ConstructionPosted 4 months ago
- Mt. Prospect Closed Southbound Until Sunday MorningPosted 4 months ago
Baseball Smothers Science As Softball, Girls Lax See Wins
It was the first Wednesday in many months that there was no snow or ice on Doc Goeltz field, though there was a rebuilt pitching mound with senior Mike Coppola on it and giving up very little ground: He threw four strikeouts in five innings.
In a team dominated by seniors, there was strength in just about every Hillbilly turn at the bat. First baseman Luke Weiss had two runs and two RBIs in three times up, while Matt Rubins was 1-for-2 with two RBIs and two runs. Mike Cifaretto was 3-for-3 and Tommy DeNicola had three runs and a RBI. Paul Scully pounded out a double.
The was also plenty of deft fielding and base running, with both Rubins and Weiss getting steals. The boys take on MKA at home today at 4 p.m.
In other VHS sports, the softball team got in the win column with a 2-1 victory over Sussex Tech at home. Caroline Chivily slammed a triple for RBI, while Olivia Feiger’s batting got Ellen DiDia home. Pitcher Paig Ferrell went the game, striking out five Sussex Tech batters and limiting them to just four hits. The softball team travels to Glen Ridge today for a 4 p.m. game.
The girls lacrosse team went to Oakland Wednesday and came back with a 13-10 win over Indian Hills High School. Jackie Brozyna was the high scorer with five goals for Verona, while seniors Lauren Ednie and Lizzy Scandiffio collectively pitched in another five. Emilia Frizzi, Cole McConnachie and Gabi Mottola had a goal apiece. The girls are home tomorrow at Centennial against Scotch Plans-Fanwood.
WMBC had this report on the softball game:
Get News Updates By Email
DMH2 Plan Heads To Final Meeting
The end may finally be in sight: DMH2 LLC,...
- Posted 1 hour ago
Volunteers Weed, Water New Peckman Plantings
The Verona Environmental Commission is giving a shout-out to...
- Posted 24 hours ago
Lemonade With A Twist
True entrepreneurs are great at finding opportunity. So Amanda...
- Posted 1 day ago
Where In Verona Is It? Week 52
This is it folks: The last week of MyVeronaNJ.com’s...
- Posted 3 years ago
Where In Verona Is It? Week 22
Naughty? Nice? We’re not going to be judgmental. We’re...
- Posted 4 years ago
PSEG: Here’s Verona Outage Map
With the millions of homes without power around New...
- Posted 2 years ago