- Police Complaint: No Solution YetPosted 2 weeks ago
- Police Complaint: Busted Tech, Town Manager IntimidationPosted 2 weeks ago
- Tevlin Family Statement On Murder ArrestsPosted 3 weeks ago
- Arrests Made In Murder Of Veronans’ NephewPosted 3 weeks ago
- Subway Robber Gets 18+ YearsPosted 4 weeks ago
- Victim Of Fatal Fire IdentifiedPosted 4 weeks ago
- Fatal Fire On Essex Fells-Verona BorderPosted 1 month ago
- Bonds, Clerk, Police IT Issues Roil Council MeetingPosted 1 month ago
- Water Main Break On MontrosePosted 1 month ago
- Verona Families Seek Leads In Nephew’s Murder As Reward GrowsPosted 2 months ago
VHS Percussion Ensemble Performs At Festival
The festival was organized under the auspices of Mantra Percussion, a cutting edge percussion ensemble from New York City. The VHS students performed for the public and members of Mantra group, who also taught a hands-on master class for the student musicians. Participants included middle school, high school, university, and professional percussion ensembles and soloists from the Montville, Ridgewood, and Randolph public schools as well New York University, Rutgers University, Bard College, New Jersey City State University, Queens College, SUNY Purchase, Stony Brook University, and Rowan University. It was not a juried festival, but rather a chance to listen and learn from percussionists across the area.
While VHS has a drum line that performs with the marching band in the fall, the Verona High School Percussion ensemble focuses on concert percussion. Last year, it performed Christopher Rouse’s Ogoun Badagris as part of the Rutgers Percussion celebration. Rouse is the resident composer for the New York Philharmonic. This year’s Verona ensemble–Eric Foy, Chris Buneo, Skyler Fortgang, Ryan Lavoie, Seamus Elliott and Dustin Nguyen–performed Thom Hasenpflug’s Bicksa at the Montville festival.
You can watch Verona’s performance below. We’ve been told that, after listening to it, the Mantra member said, “How did you do that?”
Get News Updates By Email
Scott Chesney Gets His Wheels
Earlier this month, Scott Chesney started a GoFundMe campaign to...
- Posted 19 hours ago
Harry “Moose” Zaepfel, 73
Mr. Harry E. “Moose” Zaepfel, 73, died on August...
- Posted 2 days ago
Board Of Ed Candidate: Michael Perry
Since Michael Perry moved to Verona eight years ago,...
- Posted 2 days ago
Where In Verona Is It? Week 52
This is it folks: The last week of MyVeronaNJ.com’s...
- Posted 3 years ago
Where In Verona Is It? Week 22
Naughty? Nice? We’re not going to be judgmental. We’re...
- Posted 4 years ago
PSEG: Here’s Verona Outage Map
With the millions of homes without power around New...
- Posted 2 years ago