- Bonds, Clerk, Police IT Issues Roil Council MeetingPosted 5 days ago
- Water Main Break On MontrosePosted 1 week ago
- Verona Families Seek Leads In Nephew’s Murder As Reward GrowsPosted 3 weeks ago
- Paving Closes Streets On MondayPosted 4 weeks ago
- Attempted Armed Robbery At Fuel StopPosted 2 months ago
- Fire Guts Linden Avenue GaragePosted 2 months ago
- Water Main Break Affects Hemlock, LaurelPosted 3 months ago
- BOE Prez Faults Town Engineer For Field RumorsPosted 3 months ago
- Lower Linden Avenue Closing For ConstructionPosted 4 months ago
- Mt. Prospect Closed Southbound Until Sunday MorningPosted 4 months ago
No Wiggle Room In 180-Day Rule
The longer answer, if you want to read all the fine print, is to be found on the New Jersey School Boards Association’s Web site.
In its guidance on making up snow days, the NJSBA notes that not only do we have to have 180 days of school, but they all have to be done by June 30 (so much for our brief thought about classes at Verona Pool). A half day can count as one of those 180 days, which is why Verona was called back in session this week on what was to have been a Winter Break day.
But, perhaps much to the relief of Verona students, it will be difficult–if not impossible–to add classes on the weekend. We can only have school on Saturday with the approval of the Executive County Superintendent; Sunday, the NJSBA says, “will not be approved as teachers/students cannot be compelled to attend.”
The NJSBA note offers no guidance on the use of so-called virtual instruction. A former Verona resident who now lives in New Hampshire told us earlier this month that that state has approved at-home school on days when weather makes it impossible for children to get to school. Bergen County’s Pascack Valley Regional High School District is testing a virtual school day approach for New Jersey.
is the case in Ne
Get News Updates By Email
Bloomfield Ave. Developer Changes Tack Again
After months of insisting that the lots at 176...
- Posted 7 hours ago
Waves Make Splash With Food Drive
The Verona Waves swim team did its annual “Swim...
- Posted 2 days ago
Farmers Markets With Real Farmers
We’re getting into the heart of the growing season...
- Posted 2 days ago
Where In Verona Is It? Week 52
This is it folks: The last week of MyVeronaNJ.com’s...
- Posted 3 years ago
Where In Verona Is It? Week 22
Naughty? Nice? We’re not going to be judgmental. We’re...
- Posted 4 years ago
PSEG: Here’s Verona Outage Map
With the millions of homes without power around New...
- Posted 2 years ago