- Multi-Vehicle Crash Snarls AvenuePosted 7 days ago
- Top Stories For October 2014Posted 1 week ago
- Fire Damages Gerdes Avenue HomePosted 2 weeks ago
- School Field Foes Force Full Project ReviewPosted 2 weeks ago
- Town, PBA Reach Agreement On Police TechPosted 2 weeks ago
- Possible Break In Gas Station Murder TrialPosted 2 weeks ago
- Water Main Break Closes MontrosePosted 2 weeks ago
- Fairview Driver Totals Super’s CarPosted 4 weeks ago
- NJ Eyes Virtual Snow DaysPosted 4 weeks ago
- Dodd Terrace Residents Complain About MusicPosted 1 month ago
No Wiggle Room In 180-Day Rule
The longer answer, if you want to read all the fine print, is to be found on the New Jersey School Boards Association’s Web site.
In its guidance on making up snow days, the NJSBA notes that not only do we have to have 180 days of school, but they all have to be done by June 30 (so much for our brief thought about classes at Verona Pool). A half day can count as one of those 180 days, which is why Verona was called back in session this week on what was to have been a Winter Break day.
But, perhaps much to the relief of Verona students, it will be difficult–if not impossible–to add classes on the weekend. We can only have school on Saturday with the approval of the Executive County Superintendent; Sunday, the NJSBA says, “will not be approved as teachers/students cannot be compelled to attend.”
The NJSBA note offers no guidance on the use of so-called virtual instruction. A former Verona resident who now lives in New Hampshire told us earlier this month that that state has approved at-home school on days when weather makes it impossible for children to get to school. Bergen County’s Pascack Valley Regional High School District is testing a virtual school day approach for New Jersey.
is the case in Ne
Get News Updates By Email
Thanksgiving Football Game Cancelled
The Thanksgiving football game between Verona and Caldwell has...
- Posted 4 hours ago
For Thanksgiving, An Animal Rescue
This past weekend, with Thanksgiving and all of its...
- Posted 5 hours ago
For Thanksgiving, Gratitude And Graffiti
When you go for a stroll to walk off...
- Posted 6 hours ago
Where In Verona Is It? Week 52
This is it folks: The last week of MyVeronaNJ.com’s...
- Posted 3 years ago
Where In Verona Is It? Week 22
Naughty? Nice? We’re not going to be judgmental. We’re...
- Posted 4 years ago
PSEG: Here’s Verona Outage Map
With the millions of homes without power around New...
- Posted 2 years ago