- Manhole Explosions Close Bloomfield AvenuePosted 2 weeks ago
- Snow Closes Schools, Postpones Musical, PlayoffsPosted 3 weeks ago
- Snow Day 2: Verona Public Schools ClosedPosted 2 months ago
- Superintendent Warns About DriverPosted 2 months ago
- Parking, Trash Changes During Snow StormPosted 2 months ago
- Early School Dismissal Called For MondayPosted 2 months ago
- Vandalism At HBWPosted 2 months ago
- MyVeronaNJ.com’s Top Stories For 2014Posted 3 months ago
- Top Stories For December 2014Posted 3 months ago
- Person Of The Year 2014: Maureen TracyPosted 3 months ago
Ring Found, 35 Years Later
A week or so ago, John Davila was raking leaves in his Sunset Avenue yard when he came upon something that definitely didn’t fall from a tree. It was a woman’s ring from the Verona High School class of 1978. But it didn’t belong to Davila’s wife Erica, who was born in 1978.
Erica Davila contacted the Verona High School Alumni Association. Using the initials M E C engraved inside, the VHSAA traced the ring to Mary E. Corcoran. She told the VHSAA that, shortly after getting the ring, she was cutting through a backyard with some friends when they heard a loud, angry dog barking at them. In her haste to get away, the ring went one way and she the other.
The ring and owner were re-united recently at the Davila’s home. Corcoran shared her memories of losing the ring and told a surprising story: Her mom had had a similar experience finding a lost school ring when she was a teenager. But she was stymied in her effort to return the ring because the school did not have an alumni association.
To Gail McMickle Sferrazza, the VHSAA’s historian, the episode is a testament to the small-town power of Verona. “Everyone knows everyone,” she wrote us, “or at least knows someone who knows someone who knows…you get the idea; to guide them to the proper channels for an answer on almost anything! ”
Get News Updates By Email
Letter: Don’t Just Vote Friendship, Research Candidates
Dear Editor: Do you have a neighbor or friend...
- Posted 20 hours ago
Dominick N. Scarola, 69
Mr. Dominick N. Scarola, 69, died on March 25,...
- Posted 23 hours ago
A Book About Shoes–And Life
Since people have been able to speak, they have...
- Posted 24 hours ago
Where In Verona Is It? Week 52
This is it folks: The last week of MyVeronaNJ.com’s...
- Posted 4 years ago
Where In Verona Is It? Week 22
Naughty? Nice? We’re not going to be judgmental. We’re...
- Posted 4 years ago
PSEG: Here’s Verona Outage Map
With the millions of homes without power around New...
- Posted 2 years ago